Friday, October 09, 2026
The Wing - the why and the how
A few people have asked why I wrote this and how, so here's the honest answer.
Why: I live and work in Marblehead, and I realized I knew almost nothing about the family whose land this was. Their names survive mostly in the margins of English deeds and court papers. I wanted to put them at the center of the page.
How: I used AI tools throughout, to help research, and to make the interior illustrations. I'm saying that plainly because I think readers should know. I also went back to the old records: the deeds, the depositions, Winthrop's journal, *Mourt's Relation*, Gookin and Eliot. At the back of the book there's a Historical Note that marks what's documented, what's tradition, and what I made up.
I'm not Native, and this is a novel, not the last word on anyone's history. If you know this history better than I do, I'd genuinely like to hear from you
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment