Not for nuthin'…. But….. you know the syndrome has left the clinic when a national cable host tells America the sitting president “moved explicitly to make sure no human can interfere with robots’ ability to kill us.”
What was said
On Late Night with Seth Meyers (taped Sep 28; aired into the Sep 29–30 window; transcribed and covered by NewsBusters on Wednesday, Sep 30, 2026), MS NOW host Rachel Maddow sat for the usual anti-Trump gripe session — then escalated past “authoritarian” into killer-robot apocalypse.
First the typecasting, exact words:
“Well—I can't speak to that. But I can say one thing, which is he's a type. Right? He is—and I don't just mean, like, ‘New York real estate scam artist.’ I mean, like, he's a type. He's an authoritarian guy. He's Blond Berlusconi. You know what I mean?”
Then Meyers asked whether Trump is “the wrong guy to solve A.I.” Maddow answered by citing a Washington Post report on U.N. autonomous-weapons talks — and turned diplomacy into Skynet:
“I will say two things. First of all, The Washington Post just reported this week that Trump administration lawyers made sure to scuttle the international discussions that would have said that A.I. programs aren't allowed to kill people with military weapon systems without humans checking first on what they're trying to kill. So, Trump moved explicitly to make sure no human can interfere with robots' ability to kill us.”
“So, it's, like, been hard, I think, to imagine, ‘How is it that the A.I. Apocalypse would happen?’ ‘How is it that A.I. might kill us?’ Well, the really easy thing to imagine is them using military weapons to kill us, and Trump is intervening to make sure they can.”
Sources: NewsBusters, Sep 30, 2026 (full transcript + clip) · Washington Post, Sep 26, 2026 (underlying U.N. talks story)
Context (not spin)
Argue lethal-autonomous-weapons policy all day. The Washington Post did report that U.S. and Russian diplomats stripped some human-review language from a non-binding U.N. draft on AI weapons earlier this month. That is a real diplomatic fight over treaty text — the kind sober people debate with footnotes.
What Maddow did on late night is not footnotes. She jumped from “lawyers edited a Geneva draft” to “Trump moved explicitly to make sure no human can interfere with robots' ability to kill us and “Trump is intervening to make sure they can” deliver the “A.I. Apocalypse.” Blond Berlusconi was already the night’s mood music. Killer robots clearing human interference is the diagnosis stamp.
You can dislike the administration’s Geneva posture. You can want stricter human-in-the-loop rules. Show the draft language. Cite DoD Directive 3000.09. What you don’t get not if you want anybody outside the green room to take the “A.I. safety” lecture seriously — is to tell a comedy audience the president is ensuring robots can kill us. That’s not arms-control analysis. That’s the ward with a teleprompter.
MOAM’s diagnosis
Severity: TERMINAL.
When “authoritarian guy / Blond Berlusconi” is just the warm-up for robots' ability to kill us” and “A.I. Apocalypse… Trump is intervening to make sure they can, we are past spicy cable punditry and into clinical territory. Treaty drafts can be too soft. Presidents can be wrong on AI. Neither requires a national host to sell Skynet as the White House briefing. Down here in Marblehead we still know the difference between a Geneva markup and a late-night end-of-days monologue. Save the arms-control debate for the diplomats. Save the robot apocalypse for the movies.
MOAM Out.

No comments:
Post a Comment