Saturday, September 13, 2008

Backyard Shed Talk

Appreciate all your emails and concern. Yes, the shed is coming along fine. Thanks for asking.
~
I have the roof consisting of 3/4 plywood with a blue tarp stapled and trimmed complete now so that the shed is technically functional from a waterproof standpoint. I trimmed it with an Azek knockoff of 1x5 white artificial wood that I bought from Home Depot for $11 per 8' board.
~
A square of cedar shingles went for $167 which seemed expensive to me. I think I'll need at least one more square, then I'll continue shingling under the deck.
~
The doors are being fabricated from the old pine countertop that was in the basement. Kevin Rockett ripped it out when he did the basement tiling, and it's been under the deck in all 18' of linear glory ever since.
~
I like to reuse things like the countertop when I do new projects.... Not because of any environmental reason, but because seeing the material in a new use reminds me of some of the stuff that happened around it while it was a countertop in it's older use. That's why I loved using the cedar from my mother's hope chest in my Grandson Will's toy box.
~
I cut the countertop into 4' lengths with my vintage Milwaukee worm drive circular saw and will stack these panels with cleats to form two hinged doors tomorrow.
~
Then I'll add some hardware so that the doors can be locked, and we will be good to go - loading the shed shelves with the tool crates, hanging the garden hand tools and storing the lawnmower and powerwasher.
~
It's not happening a minute too soon either, because Joanne is continually asking about the corner HDTV cabinet that I have cut the stock for in the garage, and Mike is working me over about finishing the basement. He even offered to help. We'll see how that transpires.
~
I'll show some pictures of the Shed when it's done, so please don't think you can feel free to just drop by and see it. That includes you McMahon.!

No comments: