Monday, November 12, 2012

Utility Movable Shelving

Quite a few of you Peeps have been asking me to design some Utility Movable Shelving that can be built quickly and cheaply.
~
Actually, none of you have asked for it, but I designed this anyway using the free Google Sketchup 3D Modeling program.
~
It is made from stock 8' length framing lumber and all cuts are 2'.
~
24 riser corner frame pieces, 2' pieces - 6 total
12 Shelf stiflfener 8' pieces
4 Riser stiffemer 8' pieces
2 4x8x1/2" PW pieces
~
Buy .......
(24) 2x3's
(4) 4x8 PW
Box of 2 1/2" Dry wall Screws
(6) Casters optional for Mobility
Casters fastened by (3) 2x6's
~
The left side of the drawing shows a 2x3 stud stiffener that goes the length of the riser frames.  This carries on all four sides, but was left out on the right side for clarity of the construction detail.
~
Everything is fastened by 2 1/2" drywall or deck screws.
~
At the time of this post, I could buy 2x3 eight foot studs for $1.50 ea and the 1/2" 4x8 Plywood sheets were running about $25 each.  Plus $10 for 2 1/2 box of Drywall or Deck Screws.
~
You can get the casters for all prices.   The Movable feature is optional.
~
So my stock cost before casters was $136.00. ~ The shelves are designed to hold the RubberMaid Plastic Containers that I store my tools and misc. materials in.   With good quality casters you will probably get the total materials cost up to around $200.00.
~
I had Home Depot rip the Plywood sheets to the 2' width.  If you have a chop saw, some Irwin Adjustable Clamps and a decent screw gun, this can be assembled in about four hours.
~
I'm building two of these babies.  They should really clean up the clutter in the Peabody Nanepashemet Shop and maybe I will set up the strongback for the Marblehead Gunning Dory.

No comments: