Thursday, September 06, 2012

Pram Rescue

Today, I finally got around to getting the my Pram which the Marblehead HarborMaster had towed to a mooring at Riverhead Beach.   Seems that the wireless connector weatherproofing that I used as gunwale bumpers was rubbing off on neighoring prams on the Village Wharf rings, but that's a whole other story that I'll maybe tell you later.
~
I put the Tender down the ramp from the trailer, then roped it off with a square knot on the ramp pier piling.  Then I pulled the F-150 up the ramp and parked the trailer.  When I got out of the truck and headed down the ramp, the Tender was rapidly drifting into the Harbor.
~
Wrong Knot.
~
I figured that the water to the Tender would only be waist deep and was surprized when I was quickly up to my neck holding my iPhone high in my left hand.  Then swimiming hard to reach the Tender and tow it back to the Ramp in my best Lifesaving sidestroke.
~
I figured that this was the only phucked up episode that I was to encounter on this little chore.
~
Wrong, Kemosabe.
~
I got back to the shore and this nice elderly couple asked if I wanted them to watch my Tender while I went for some dry clothes.  I declined the kind offer and set out get into the Tender and row out the the Pram which was about 50 yards out on the mooring.
~
When I got to the Pram, it was filled with a green slimy, rainwater residue which was a result of the thunderstorm downpours that we experienced over the last few days.  Amazing how heavy a pram full of water is.
~
To make a long and increasingly  boring story short, I finally got the Pram into the back of the F-150 with the help of a by-stander from Castine, Maine who had a lot of cool stuff to tell me about wooden boats.... especially the designs that John Gardner had published. 
~
I guess this story doesn't have much of a punch line.  But that's your problem.  What do you want me to do????  Make up some fantastic freaking ending?????
~
Publish your own Blog if you think this shit is easy.

No comments: