Sunday, April 06, 2008

Toy Chest Progress

Even with only a little good weather this weekend, I made great progress in the garage, and cut everything for the carcass of the toy chest that I'm building for Will's first birthday.
~
I was able to recycle some cedar from my parents hope chest that I had been saving for some time. It still had a pungent aroma when sawed, and will be the floor of the chest. The walls will be a combination of oak and mahogany in a pattern that worked well on the seats of the Tender. These hardwoods contrast very well together.
~
The base will be a dovetailed oak carcass with mahogany moulding accents.
~
I want to use a laminated strip pattern for the top that will incorporate a fair curve and give a nautical effect. It's looking great in my mind... curious to see how it will manifest in wood.

No comments: