Saturday, November 11, 2023

Thank You Veterans


 It's Veterans Day.  A time to be humbled by the duty, sacrifice and heroism displayed by our United States Military veterans who paved the way for the the contination of the freedom and life that we enjoy.

My three kids and I are not veterans.  We were spared the requirement to stand for others.  Both of their Grandfathers were disabled American vets.  And my Grandfather as well.  They overcame their wounds and lived to literally help create our lives.

My Father, John Nestor, was blown off of a ship in the North Atlantic in World War II.  My Father-in-Law, Joseph LeBlanc, was wounded by tank shrapnel in Korea.  And my Grandfather, Jeremiah Nestor, was gassed in the trenches of Europe during World War I.  They survived these ordeals, albeit with great psychological damage.

They did not brag of their experiences.... in fact, they did not speak of them.  When I asked my Father about what happened to him, he would fight back tears and become silent.  I only asked him once.  But shortly before his death, he was intrigued to know where exactly his Father has been gassed in Europe.  He didn't know, because my Grandfather never told him.  And my Father-in-Law never let us know that he was a POW in Korea.

These details were unspeakable to them.

Today is a day to reflect and give thanks to those who stood in harm's way to protect our way of life.

Thank You Veterans


No comments: