for Peeps of all Persuasions

Real Estate, Boatbuilding, Business, and Politics ....
Interspersed with Truth, Justice, and Insight into the Meaning of Life .....
for Nanepashemet Peeps of all Persuasions.



Sunday, March 14, 2010

Angling Toward Aquaponics

The steady rain this weekend put a damper on my backyard projects.
~
But I had a lot of other stuff to fill the gap.  The Grandkids were over which always fills the time, and I had a real estate showing in Central Mass for some of the SuperPeeps who I can't name so that I don't jinx the deal.   And while I was out there anyway, I squeaked in an unplanned Fresh Ayer visit.
~
Then Tom Holmes turned me on to the concept of aquaponics, whereby a fish pond environment is exchanged with the water from hydroponically grown vegetables, and both the fish and the plants benefit from the exchange of nutrients. 
~
So I spent a good deal of the indoor down time reseaching pump systems  on the Internet and thinking of how this aquaponics system could come together.
~
All I was originally thinking of doing was making a backyard waterfall and Japanese water garden... then the thought of adding fish and growing hydroponic vegetables started to make some sense.   I think I'll make a run at it this summer.
~
Thanks for the idea Tom.  I'll send you some Tomatoes.




Lauren Rathbone said...


How come no peeps last week. Did I miss something?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:37 PM

    How come no peeps last week. Did I miss something? Lauren Rathbone

    ReplyDelete

Appreciate if you leave comments under your real name. Except for TL.

Disqus