Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Bondo

The Rockett Hotel meeting lasted until noon, then I went to Pep Boys Auto Parts to get the Bondo. After a 1:30 sales conference call, I was ready to Bondo the gaps in the railing. I had never used the stuff, but it was straight forward enough.
~
After you mix the red hardener with the grey goo, it sets up really fast. Your have to mix small batches and work quickly.
~
I was foolishly wearing my flip flops and didn't realize that a dollop fell on my big toe. I found out about it when it started to harden and burn. Then I was nervous that I couldn't get it off without ripping my toenail. It came off with a little too much force, but no apparent damage.
~
After Dinner, I sanded half of the hardened Bondo. The railing came out far better than I expected. This Bondo is good stuff and could cover a ton of sins in the future.
~
Tomorrow, I have to go to Jack Connolly's memorial ceremony at the Lynn Yacht Club, then meet with Peter Lojko. They are going to spread Jack's ashes in Lynn Harbor. I'm pretty sure that this will not be one of my final bequests.
~
Afterwards, the plan is to finish sanding the Bondo, fill with Spackle and spray paint the posts, railings, and balusters. Friday may see an additional coat. But I have to leave for Concord to drop off a bid to the New Hampshire State Liquor Commission, and continue to Burlington, VT for Brian and Stacy's wedding.
~
Sometime next week, I will start to build the mahogany and oak caps. This will have to be epoxied and marine varnished.
~
When all that is done (probably by the end of next week}, I will power wash the deck and build the stairway railings. I'm thinking of something curved and laminated with mahogany and oak strips.
~
Then we'll get back to the basement.
~
Also, in case you were wondering, I blew off the Harbor rowing workout today. Tomorrow might be a better chance.

No comments: