Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Deck Repairs

We are in a holding pattern with a couple of our projects, so I used the downtime to jack up a portion of the back deck that was sagging, remove the cap cedar on the railing that was failing, and purchase the red meranti mahogany for the new railing cap from Moynihan Lumber in Beverly.
~
I jacked up the sag using the tire jack from my F140, then reattached the rim joist to the garage foundation using power actuated Ramset masonry nails. The system scares the hell out me because of the gunpowder explosion used to drive the nails into the masonry, but it is very effective for fastening wood to masonry.
~
The 1x8 meranti went for $2.35/lf which would probably be about $4.00 per board foot. Expensive, but with the right finish, it will add value to the deck for years to come.
~
I have to get some Bondo to fill wood gaps in the curved railings tomorrow and when that cures, I'll spray paint the bannisters, railings and posts, then apply the mahogany caps. Beneath the 1x8 mahogany, I'll epoxy 3/4 strips of oak to give a sense of bulk and also a two toned cap design.

Needless to say, once I got going on this project, I blew off the rowing workout in the Harbor.

No comments: