Saturday, May 13, 2017

Redd's Pond Gunning Dory

This beautiful reproduction of a Chamberlain Marblehead Gunning Dory was found sitting at the opening of the Redd's Pond Boatyard in Marblehead this morning.   It looks like it it was faithfully constructed according to the plans that John Gardner published about fifty years ago.

It is hard chine planking on permanent frames with oak tems and railings, with  cedar seats.  The flooring was a wood that I am not familiar with.... possibly hickory or ash.

A finely crafted boat and very inspirational to me.

The one that I am building in Peabody is built along the same lines, but mine will be planked with 1/4" cedar strips, covered with fiberglass and epoxy, and finished bright with marine varnish.  I have also rounded the chines to accommodate the change in planking.

The 70 Nanepashemet project has my boat completion schedule pushed way off though.


No comments: