for Peeps of all Persuasions

Real Estate, Boatbuilding, Business, and Politics ....
Interspersed with Truth, Justice, and Insight into the Meaning of Life .....
for Nanepashemet Peeps of all Persuasions.



Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Facebook Infatuation and Pluralism

Peeps....
My infatuation with Facebook continues unabated.... which is both entertaining and annoying.

But I am starting to notice trends.

Facebook used to be a status site.   "I'm at Dairy Queen in Everett eating Ice Cream with Henry".

Now it has morphed to extensive political debates and rancorous discourse.

I don't condemn this..... in fact I admit that I really enjoy it.

But I've started to develop some protocols for posting.

I'll respect you, no matter how much I disagree, and no matter how heated our threads get.... as long as the conversation doesn't deteriorate into a personal insult, or you whip out the Racist or Nazi card in your disdain for President Trump.   When that happens, I will do my best to aggravate the crap out of you in the thread,and  afterwards I'll defriend and block you from seeing any more of my posts..... and insuring that I don't see yours.

The reason is that after you show your character by getting underhanded, every time I see you after that, I get a negative feeling.   Life is too freaking short to get aggravated just by seeing your name at that point.  So Buh Bye.

Don't get me wrong.   I don't condemn you to everlasting Hell fire.  I just don't need a negative thought emanating from me just because I see your posts.

And I hope my Facebook experience doesn't get homogenized.... I actually really cherish the exchanges I have with people who I disagree with, but with whom the line of mutual respect for different opinions is not crossed.

 Liberals take Trump literally and don't take him 😒 seriously. Conservatives take Trump seriously and don't take him literally. I suppose something in you DNA determines how you react to him. 

I didn't make this up, Saw it somewhere on line, but this explains a lot for me.

After a number of years doing this, it is apparent that "facts" will never change people's opinion... so that is never my expectation to make you change your mind.   My goal in a Facebook political tread is to articulate my position (often so that I solidify it for myself), and have a little fun sparring with those who think differently than I do.

So if you want to be defriended, call me an Asshole, or call our POTUS a Racist.  You will get your wish, and I will move on with people who can respect others in a pluralistic society.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Appreciate if you leave comments under your real name. Except for TL.

Disqus