Monday, April 15, 2013

Marathon Monday

There are 27,000 runners competing in the Boston Marathon today.
~
When I ran it in 1972, there were 3,000 in the race and I remember marveling how crowded it seemed.
~
Over the years, the race has gained considerably in popularity.  I used to take a bus to Boston at 12:00PM and casually walk over to the Prudential Center finish line to be there at 2:00PM before the first runners came through.   Back then, I knew who the runners and favorites were, and was shocked when Bill Rodgers first won, and nobody realized that he was a local guy as he turned the corner on Beacon Street.
~
This year, I'll be pulling for Carrie Paige,  Shalane Flanagan, the elite Women's runner from Marblehead who has a good chance of winning, and former POTY Tommy McMahon, who doesn't.
~
Looks like the weather will hold up.

No comments: