Monday, May 12, 2008

Project Status

I'd appreciate it if you'd slack off a little on all of the annoying emails asking me how the projects are coming. I'm happy to keep you informed, but the constant inquiries are starting to get on my nerves. Yesterday, I even snapped at Katelyn!
~
Yes, Will Nestor's Toychest is coming along fine. All of the side panels have been have been cut, biscuit joined and glued. The next step is to rough sand the panels, then cut the dovetails. The rough assembly of the carcase should be done by the weekend. Then I have to figure out what the lid and base assembly will look like. I've got a month to get this project done... so no problem.
~
The Herreshoff Columbia Yacht Tender seasonal fit out is also progressing nicely. Yesterday, I epoxied all of the seat seams and touched up any areas where the epoxy failed. I also epoxied some reinforcing fiberglass to some stress points in the bottom of the hull. Three quarts of Epiphanes Clear Gloss Marine Varnish is on order from Jamestown Distributors, and I will spray this on the interior when I have scraped and sanded the epoxy touchups. Then I'll turn over the hull, attach the brass bar to the keel, and spray a few coats of varnish on the outside hull. Can't see the launch happening before June, but it has to look good so I can impress all of my new friends at the Boston Yacht Club.
~
The Chamberlain Marblehead Gunning Dory is another story. I keep promising to join the frames to the bottom, and I have them all laid out, but I haven't progressed due to the urgency of the top two projects. When I get some receivables from Nanepashemet Telecom, I'll buy that 8 HP Honda 4 Stroke Outboard from Ryan Marine, and the project will gather some steam, because the engine will require some design modications in the Dory plan. I want the motor to tilt up into the hull and will need to check the mounting and make provisions for the gas tank. I realistically can't see any movement on this until mid-June, after Will's chest is complete.
~
So now you should be happy enough. You're completely updated on the status of the projects, so ease up on the emails.

No comments: