Sunday, May 18, 2008

Convergence

The lid for Will's Toy Chest came out very well and the design of mahogany and oak accents was successful. I borrowed this design element from the breasthook of the Herreshoff Tender and the hardwood seat that I had to re-fabricate after Jim Peabody inadvertently karate chopped the original cedar one.
~
The mahogany has some stress cracks, but these will be sealed by the absorption of the first coat of epoxy.
~
I also sanded out the dovetails but was less than 100% satisfied because the fit was not as precise as I would have liked for a project of this importance. The gaps were filled with a glue and sanding dust putty that will cause the flaws to disappear, but I know that they are there and a juried woodworker will see them.
~
The vast majority of you Peeps won't have a clue, so I guess I shouldn't get pissed off with myself about it.
~
The project will be completed well before Will's birthday in mid-June, but I'm rushing it because I want to spray it with multiple coats of marine varnish while the Tender interior is also being varnished, and I'd like to launch the Tender as soon as possible.
~
Both projects will be completed with the varnishing at the same time.

No comments: