Saturday, October 28, 2017

Search for a SAFE SPACE

The Liberal rants I see lately seem silly and contrived.

All of the cries of Racism.

All of the cries of Global Warming and Climate Catastrophe.

Contrived claims of Russian Interference in our electoral system.

The Gender Identity Movement.

I'm in my mid sixties.  Grew up as the Civil rights movement was taking shape, but still saw the vestiges of Jim Crow and segregation.  Crouched in my elementary school corridors during nuclear bomb drills during the Cuban Missile Crisis.  Saw fish and wildlife all be disappear in the Boston Harbor and New England Forests.  Experienced the horror in a family when their Homosexual son died of AIDS.

Friends.... these were REAL, PHUCKING PROBLEMS!

As I meandered though the last six decades, a lot of good stuff started to materialize.

I saw Black people given a boost in our educational system.... saw the first Black Governor of Massachusetts and the first Black President of the United States.

I saw the United States stare down the Russian menace in the Cold War, with the dissolution of Communism and the USSR.

I saw Striped Bass return to Boston Harbor, Whales on Stellwagen Bank, Deer in South Boston and Turkeys in my backyard and all through New England.  Hawks stalk the skies and Coyotes prowl the ground.

I saw Openly Gay people emerge to positions of prominence in Business and Politics.

I saw REAL, TANGIBLE CHANGE and improvements in our society of my sixty odd year run.

Should we be satisfied?  Hell no.  There are always improvements to be made.

My theory about the discord among liberals today has to do with the angst and ennui that accompanies basic existence.   We all die.   In the end, this life never works out like we think it should.  So this deep ingrained insecurity needs an outlet in some.  If it is not a real problem, then one must be instituted.   So we scream "Racist" where the actual doesn't come close to the stuff that us old guys witnessed.  Improvements to the Environment are overshadowed by cries of doom and global destruction. Russian threats are created behind elections that we don't like.  And it is not enough to accept gays into society, we must embrace wholescale gender change.

It seems silly and not a little depressing that the vast improvements over the past sixty years are discarded and ignored in this contrived search for safe spaces.



No comments: