Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Freud Ripping Blade.


Earlier this year, I bought this Freud 10 In. 30 Tooth Thin Kerf Glue Line Rip Saw Blade with 5/8 In. Arbor from Amazon in anticipation of ripping the 5/4 Red Cedar planks into planking strips for the Chamberlain Marblehead Gunning Dory.   But I haven't installed it in the table saw until today when I bought the 20' x 6" cedar stock from Moynihan Lumber in Beverly.

Man, this thing really rips cuts beautifully. I did some test cuts on 2x6 pine and it made the lumber look like finished stock. It cost over fifty bucks on Amazon, but will be worth it for the finish cuts and thin kerf that it provides

 I estimate that it will take three hours of concerted sawing to rip the six twenty foot planks into 1/4" inch strips.  I will count this as a bona fide workout.

Then I will set up the bead and cove router table operation to finalize these strips for planking. 

As an added incentive to get this project done, the Marblehead Harbormaster called today and confirmed that he is moving my mooring to the Stramski Beach area.    So I've decided to put the Herreshoff Tender on the #16 ring and put the Dory on the new mooring location.

This is getting good.

No comments: