It is like Christmas Eve when you have to assemble all of the freaking toys.
All of the equipment minus water, plants and fish present and ready to be assembled.
- Solar Panels
- Battery Bank
- Charge Controller
- AC Power inverter
- All PVC fixtures to assemble three Bell Siphons
- 55 Gallon Blue Barrell for the Swirl Filter
- Two 275 Gallon IBC totes to fabricate into one fish tank and three grow beds.
- PVC fixtures and tubing to assemble all of the drainage and Plumbing
- Aqua Rox Clay stone growing media (a whole shitload of it).
- 1100 GPH water pump.
Now there is nothing to it but to do it.
I've taken the time to item this into a Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) which we Professional Project Managers are trained to do..... yet never really do in real life.
- Assemble Pressure Treated Lumber frames for the Solar Panels.
- Dig a trench from the Solar Panel location to the battery pack and inverter station under the Deck.
- Run the solar cable and grounding wire through PVC Pipe in the trench and power up the system.
- Dig a trench and run PVC conduit for the Pump to AC Inverter Power Cord.
- Cut 1/4 of the Fish Tank IBC Tote and set aside as a grow bed.
- Use the 3/4 remaining IBC Tote for the Fish Tank and drill a hole to connect the pump.
- Assemble the 55 gallon swirl filter and install hole fixtures,
- Run the pump infeed tube from the fish tank to the swirl filter.
- Cut the other IBC Tote into two grow beds utilizing the top and bottom quarters of the tote.
- Set up the grow beds on a pressure treated elevated frame allowing access to the bottom of the beds.
- Cut holes in the beds and install the Bell Siphons.
- Connect the Bell Siphon outlets to draninage to PVC plumbing running back to the Fish tank and spilling into it to oxygenate the fish water.
- Run PVC plumbing from the Swirl Filter to the Grow Beds.
- Wash the Aqua Rox Clay stone against a sifter screen to minimize dust.
- Add the Stone grow media into the grow beds.
- Add a layer of stone to the bottom of the fish IBC tote for appearance.
- Add water to the fish tank
- Turn on the pump to move water to the swirl filter.
- Adjust the infeed and outfeed water flow from the swirl filter to the grow beds.
- Keep filling the system from the fish tank, to the swirl filter to the grow beds until the Bell Siphons start to discharge.
- Monitor water filling until the fish tank, the swirl filter and the grow beds are in balance.
- Add ammonia to the fish tank to begin the nutrient cycle.
- Add plants to the grow media.
- Cycle the system for a few days.
- Go fishing for Golden Shiners.
- Introduce the fish to the fish tank and establish feeding cycles.
- Trim out the tanks and grow beds in wood.
- Tend to the grow beds and care for the fish.
- Monitor pH and tweak to find out why plants aren't growing and fish are dying.
- Become discouraged and disenchanted... beginning a spiral of self loathing.
- Watch pitifully as the entire thing turns into a quagmire in my backyard.
- Endure catcalls, taunts and various levels of vituperation from former friends and loved ones.
- Abandon and dump the evidence.
- Deny that you ever even contemplated such a project.