Friday, December 14, 2012

Newtown Never Again

Our hearts go out to the families in Newtown, Connecticut.
~
A random sociopath kills a complete classroom of kindergarten kids and adults... including his mother.
~
It makes you realize that despite all outward appearances, we still live in the state of nature.... No, we don't get eaten by bears, or have neighboring tribes steal our crops and try to kill us.... but we still can't let our guard down.
~
There exists every day, the infintesimal chance that some sociopath can attack you and yours, and virtually destroy your life.
~
A while back, I felt that gun control was the answer.  Eliminate the Weapons.  But then, as I researched the controls and process that the various state governments, including Connecticut, has in place, it has become apparent to me that the proper governmental measures have already been instituted for law abiding individuals to bear arms as our constitution prescibes.
~
But you have to agree that criminals and the deranged sociopaths will always get the guns.   Could this have been lessened if some responsibly licensed school officials in Newtown had their own handgun?   And could take responsible countermeasures.... i.e. cap that crazy bastard?
~
You hate to think that we still live in the Wild West... but it is what it is. 
~
When I had my Massachusetts Gun Permit renewed a few weeks ago, I asked the desk officer if the Marblehead Police Department had an increase in applications.   She held up a bowl containing about thirty licenses that were ready to be issued.  Then, the other day, when I was purchasing some target ammunition at the Middleton firearms store, I asked the owner if sales were up.  He said the volume had ballooned recently.
~
So I'm not behind the curve on this one.
~
I don't carry a concealed handgun with me everyday... because I travel throughout New England on a moment's notice, and I'm only licensed in Massachusetts.  But there's a good chance that I'll apply for licenses in the neighboring states.
~
Because I'd hate to be in a situation where a stoked up mental case was pumping rounds into a classroom of 5 year olds, and I couldn't put a hollow point cartridge square into his body mass and out the asshole.

No comments: