Saturday, May 05, 2012

Lily White Warren

I said I was done with Warren posts... but I'm not.  I admit that even a Mountain of a Man has his weaknesses and this "claiming she is a Native American" continues to taunt me.
~
So I pick up the Salem News on a Sat. morning and see that our candidate has visited Salem State University yesterday on the campaign stump.  Naturally, one of the first questions was if she is a Native American, to which she replied," I am proud of my family and proud of my heritage, and would rather speak of something else."
~
Translation.... "No Comment, so change the freaking subject."
~
This is what bugs the hell out of me with this issue.
~
Affirmative Action was created to redress the evils placed on minorities in the past, and bring about economic equality.  I happen to support it, even though it is patently unfair at times.
~
But if there is no way that you can be discerned as a minority, as is the case with our Indian Princess but otherwise Lily White Warren, then is it unethical to proclaim that you are one in order to gain Affirmative Action status?
~
Should you qualify for benefits as a minority if nobody can tell you are a minority?  How can you be discriminated against if nobody knows you are a minority unless you tell them?
~
Warren is a law professor.... but she should audit a Freshman Ethics class.  Even at Harvard.
~
Maybe my sense of morality is warped, but I definitely think this is grossly unethical.

No comments: