Monday, July 25, 2011

the Why

The other day somebody asked me why I took the time and effort to add to this Blog every day.
~
It certainly is not an income producer, nor is it necessary to massage my ego and self esteem. That can happen in a lot of other ways.
~
Part of the reason is that I like to write and always have.  I started keeping a journal as a sophomore in college and have always made notebook entries throughout the years.  Maybe it's the Irish in me, but I get a lot of satisfaction in turning a word.
~
But that is a relatively small part.
~
Another part is that it is good emotional therapy for me which helps to even out the highs and the lows.   A professional friend years ago told me that he always writes letters to people that irritate him, then decides whether to send them after he's all cooled down.   Writing does tend to mellow you out somewhat.
~
I would say that this factor holds a little more weight, because I can write about the politcal issues that tend to irk me quite a bit, and diffuse the energy that can overcome and occupy my mind to an unreasonable extent.
~
After a little bit of introspection, I can truly say that the largest reason that I publish this blog is to share.  To share thoughts, ideas, advice and observations with my family and friends... and yes, my enemies.  What I say isn't always right, but it is absolutely always what I believe.  And even if some of it is in parables, it is always pure truth... or my version of reality.
~
Sometimes, it is fun to spice things up with a little satire.... like when I call myself a Mountain of a Man, or when I call the Peeps pathetic lesser beings.    I hope you can tell when my tongue is in my cheek.
~
I want my friends and family to see benchmarks... to feel free to agree or disagree... to see if my insight or remarks can help them in any way.    I've been accused in the past of thinking I was always right about everything.  That was an accurate observation then, and I stand guilty today.  Going forward, I always think I'm right.  Looking backward, I realize that sometimes I miss the mark.
~
But being wrong has value.  You have a benchmark to measure and probe so that the truthful reality ultimately shows up.
~
Sometimes my posts are personal and other times they are pretty mundane.  I know that most of you really don't give a shit if my deck gets built and stuff like that.   These are usually communications to my kids or close friends.
~
What this Blog has really given back to me is a sense of the depth and richness of life.   There is no way that I can communicate a sixteenth of the stuff that drifts by my earthly position every day.

Tuna Lips said...

Further to them points, yiz pervide a service to this here communitization, an "open mike" iffin' y'll allow, fer folk of bright cogitatin', such as myself, to get the message out on issues that effects one's day to day machinations in this woebegone vale of tears. Fer instance, I got me a stubborn case of crotch rot, and with no swamp weeds to swabble my whoochin' stick in, I am suffering like Jesus on the road to Calgary. Anyone, help a brother in need. Send yer homestyle cures for this most pernicious of malladies, forthwith. And on the double, too.
I digressify. Big mammal, you are a community organizer. Next step, the White House. And I will accept your nomenclature for head of the moonshine, smokes and gun shootin' board, straighten' things out right proper, I would.

1 comment:

Tuna Lips said...

Further to them points, yiz pervide a service to this here communitization, an "open mike" iffin' y'll allow, fer folk of bright cogitatin', such as myself, to get the message out on issues that effects one's day to day machinations in this woebegone vale of tears. Fer instance, I got me a stubborn case of crotch rot, and with no swamp weeds to swabble my whoochin' stick in, I am suffering like Jesus on the road to Calgary. Anyone, help a brother in need. Send yer homestyle cures for this most pernicious of malladies, forthwith. And on the double, too.

I digressify. Big mammal, you are a community organizer. Next step, the White House. And I will accept your nomenclature for head of the moonshine, smokes and gun shootin' board, straighten' things out right proper, I would.