Friday, August 06, 2010

Pushing the Limit

Peeps...
You have got to FREAKING BACK OFF!!
~
All or your emails and vm's about whether I stayed off of the carbs for the 3rd and crucial day in a row.
~
To answer your annoying, irritating, neurotic and sometimes nasty inquiries.... I sailed through the day like gangbusters... not a carb in sight.
~
I started the day with a 15 mile easy bike ride - my normal New Hampshire loop.  Pedaled through with nary a problem.   So in the afternoon, I mapped out a new 20 mile loop and tackled that.   A bit more challenging, but a Mountain of a Man doesn't know how to quit.... which can be mighty painful at times.
~
After 15 miles I was pretty spent and thankful for the drivers who were swerving wide to avoid my erratic pedaling behavior.  But I'm sitting here typing this... proof positive that I again dodged cardiac arrest.



No carbs again for me tomorrow... but maybe no bike rides either.  Have to see if I can get out of bed.
~
I think about my old Lynn English and UMASS classmate, Christos Laganos, who regularly embarks on 100 mile bike rides in the mountains, and my roommate from UMASS, Bob Towne, who is a nationally ranked ultramarathoner and 100 mi trail runner, and my old partner, Harvey Rowe, who routinely scoops up all of the hardware in his Triathlon age group
~
Where have I gone wrong?    These guys have literally got me sucking air.
~
This working for a living routine has got to go... I have to get back into shape.

Jim L. said...
Jay, I remember those dorms out in Amherst were often ripe with a pungent oder, which explains why you thought Laganos was in classes with you. However, I believe I passed out once or twice at his pad in the Back Bay when he was at Northeastern.

Your right, though, about that working for a living, it is constantly getting in the way of my attempts to get into shape. My bike seems to collect more dust than miles.





1 comment:

Jim L. said...

Jay, I remember those dorms out in Amhearst were often ripe with a pungent oder, which explains why you thought Laganos was in classes with you. However, I believe I passed out once or twice at his pad in the Back Bay when he was at Northeastern.
Your right, though, about that working for a living, it is constantly getting in the way of my attempts to get into shape. My bike seems to collect more dust than miles.