Saturday, February 20, 2010

Shelving Update

Both shleving units were finished by 4:15PM today and by 5 O'clock I had finished a refreshing Guinness and was mixing a Classic Winter Cocktail.
~
The key to the successful completion was a big break that I caught at Home Depot, when a guy with a thick accent asked me if I needed any help with the plywood.   I had just seen him aiding a customer with a cut at the panel saw, so I asked him if he could cut 4 panels into thirds at 16 inches a piece.  He said sure and then noticed that I was pulling plywood from the $33 pile and that the $25 stock was just as good.  Man... this guy saved me big time so I gave him the last ten dollar bill that I had as a tip.  He almost didn't take it.  
~
I asked him where he was from, and he said he came here from Sudan, 8 years ago.   What a great guy.
~
Then when I was struggling to get the plywood into the truck, an old guy who said he was a lobsterman from Nahant gave me a hand.
~
These two guys made a huge difference.  I didn't have to drag out my table saw and wrestle with ripping the plywood to size.  It was already done by the time I got back from Home Depot.
~
The only drawback was that they didn't have any Kreg System Screws.  This jig system is a huge time saver to make strong butt joints, so I called Gilbert and Cole in Marbleheadto see if they had the screws and picked up two boxes there.   Exactly the amount of screws that I ended up using.
~
So here I am.... finishing the first of a couple or three Classic Winter Cocktails, having completed a very functional shelving system for Nanepashemet Telecom.   Hope you had a good day too.

Tuna Lips said...

Hire yerself some Mexicans and git strait to the drinkin'. Jeez ahmighty, does I has to do everything round here?

1 comment:

Tuna Lips said...

Hire yerself some Mexicans and git strait to the drinkin'. Jeez ahmighty, does I has to do everything round here?