Saturday, August 15, 2009

Blackburn Challenge

As I enter day 13 of Operation Buff, I've allowed myself to fantasize about entering the Blackburn Challenge open ocean 20 mi. rowing race around Cape Ann in Gloucester next July.
~
Emphasis on the word "fantasize".
~
Don't think I'd want to do it in the Herreshoff Columbia Yacht Tender. And the Marblehead Gunning Dory is far from complete. I would have to finish the Dory, install two Piandetosi Sliding Seats, and find another victim who would like to make the 4 hour row with me.
~
The first two conditions are doable with the right commitment. Finding a rowing partner is another.
~
If you are comfortable with torture, and would like to volunteer, send me an email at
jnestor@nanepashemet.com
..... and I will consider your proposal.
~
Course you would have to be in shape for the challenge.... and so would I.
~
Plus, in addition to the physical torture, you would have to have the mental edge to endure my constant whining and kvetching for multiple hours. I would have to insist that no instruments with sharp edges be taken on this row. So if you threw me overboard, I wouldn't be attracting sharks from open wound bleeding.
~
From my experience in rowing 4 miles around Marblehead Harbor every once in awhile, 20 miles is a freaking hike. But I'm game if you are.