Sunday, July 26, 2009

Workbench Progress


I surprised myself at the progress that was made on the Workbench Project.
~
The dovetailed apron was glued and fastened, the end vise was attached, as well as the two bench vises.
~
The wooden vise grips have to be assembled and fastened to the bench vises, and a ton of sanding had to be done. Then the holes for the bench dogs need to be lined up and drilled.
~
I also cut all of the mortises for the bench leg system in the mahogany 2x4's using the Jet Mortising Machine that I'm really glad that I bought on a whim six months ago or so.
~
I'm going to set up the router table with a sharpened 3/4" straight bit to cut the tenons.
~
Then the leg system will be assembled and attached to the bottom of the table.
~
After the sanding is completed, five or six coats of sprayed polyurethane varnish will finish the project, and we will move it into the basement to be used as a plan table and fine detail work, until it becomes the centerpiece for the dream shop that I will build when I retire.
~
Maybe I'll sneak in some hours on the project this week because I'm anxious to get moving on Kate's Adirondack chair. I know that I will be down to Block Island once or twice this week to close that project out, and there is probably some other Nanepashemet Telecom priorities that will loom forth. Plus alot will depend on the weather.

No comments: