Thursday, May 21, 2009

Daily Grind

Started the day meeting my partner at 6:ooAM in Grafton on the MassPike, which is about 1 1/2 hours from Marblehead.
~
So you do the math. Got up at 4:00AM, printed out some stuff, hit the shower and jumped in the truck for the morning ride.
~
By 7:00AM, was sitting at the Charlton Town Hall, waiting for it to open at 7:30 so I could ask for the certificate of occupancy for the two sites that we built in that town. Left the files for the building inspector with the Administrator, Nancy, and went 30 miles further up the road to the Hampden County Registry of Deeds in downtown Springfield.
~
The Registry is on the fourth floor of the superior court building and there were tons of plaintiffs and defendants mulling around when I arrived at 8:30 AM. The security guards made me leave my digital camera with them which I hate because it could dissappear so easily, and I really need a good digital with me at all times.
~
After wading though the chainsmoking malcontents outside, I made it to the elevator and filed a decision of the Brimfield, MA Zoning Board of Appeals for recording. The stamp on the recorded docs would be proof to apply for the Building Permit in Brimfield tomorrow morning when the Building Department will be open to file between 10:00 AM and 11:30 only.
~
After Springfield, I deadheaded to Chelmsford to drop up some lease docs for execution at a Burlington site. Made it by 11:00 AM and was out by 11:15 and was on the road to Weston to file a permit to but an antenna on Regis College.
~
The good folks at the Weston Building Department have a lot of requirements and I found out that I had to get an original structural report from the Engineer in Downtown Boston, needed a signature from the College facilities VP on the Building permit application and needed to record a Zoning Board of Appeals decision at the Middlesex Registry of Deeds.
~
So that shot to hell my chances of filing for that Building Permit today with those three hoops in front of me to jump through. Put in some calls to see if I could get the Regis College signature, and made plans to pick up the structural on Summer St in Boston. I knew that the Middlesex filing would be a pain in the ass. It always is with the parking in Cambridge and the wait at the Registry.
~
Plus I had to deadhead to the Suffolk Registry of Deeds after picking up Katelyn for the passing of her South Boston Condo.
~
Got to Bowdoin St. outside of Katelyn's Beacon Hill office by 12:45PM, picked up Kate and went to park down at the Govt Center Parking garage. The closing went by without a hitch which is a miracle since everything in this deal seemed to be a chore. But Katelyn waded through it all, and I'm really proud of her.
~
After the passing, at 2:15. I was driving with Katelyn to her apartment in Southie and hopeing to grab a beer to celebrate and wind it down. But then I got a call from Regis saying that if I got back there within an hour and a half, I could get the permit signature that I needed. So I dropped Kate off and deadheaded to the College with a permit signature in hand by 3:30PM
~
I was in a debate with myself to see if I should go back to the Weston Building Dept and plead to file without the recorded ZBA decision, but ultimately resolved to go back to Cambridge and file in the Middlesex Registry of Deeds first.
~
Without a quarter in Cambridge, I took a chance at a meter and was in and out of the Registry by 4:00PM with no parking ticket. That was the fastest Middlesex filing in history. Virtually no wait.
~
The gameplan now would be to retreat back to Marblehead and make a run at the Weston Builidng Department tomorrow with all of their docs in place.
~
My GPS said I'd be back home by 4:30, but no freaking way with the Tobin Bridge traffic. Walked into Beverly Ave. at 5:15 pretty damn tired.
~
But it was a good day. and we kicked it pretty good on the Block Island RI project today too.


Tuna Lips said...

I applaud yer runnin' hither and yonder to get stuff done. I am missin' the part about takin' some cash down for all this sweatin'. Be right kind of you to let us knows when you gots the jingle we gots comin' to us, so we can help youse congratulate yerself.

I am all above showin' the love.

1 comment:

Tuna Lips said...

I applaud yer runnin' hither and yonder to get stuff done. I am missin' the part about takin' some cash down for all this sweatin'. Be right kind of you to let us knows when you gots the jingle we gots comin' to us, so we can help youse congratulate yerself.

I am all above showin' the love.