Thursday, May 14, 2009

Island in Rhode Island

Man, did this week get away from me!
~
Monday and Tuesday I crammed paperwork in because I knew that I would have a long day on the Coast Guard project in Block Island on Wed. So up at 4:00 Wed. morning, I headed to Seekonk to pick up some ground rods then deadheaded to the Block Island Ferry at Point Judith, RI.
~
Naturally, Murphy's Law was in effect on the Block Island site, and we didn't pour concrete until 3:30PM.
~
Nobody told me that you couldn't drive onto the 5:15PM ferry to Point Judith at 4:49PM. When the ticket lady said I was too late, I sort of didn't give a shit. I was too tired to bitch at her, and I felt that I was in the wrong anyway.
~
My only real issue was that I was dirty and sweaty and needed a change of clothes. (Note to Self... in the future.... always stash a spare pair of scivvies in your briefcase for occasions like this.)
~
So I found a hotel room on the Island at a good rate, bought a clean t-shirt at the hotel shop, showered, and had beers and dinner with the Watts boys who were staying overnight to finish tooling the slab pours. It was an enjoyable evening and I awoke at 4:30 AM to a rooster annoucing the pre-dawn. Couldn't sleep, so I got up at 5:00 to cruise around the Island in my F-150 at dawn.
~
Block Island is really stunning. People are friendly, and there are some spectacular waterside homes. I hear that the fishing is great and was encouraged to see a keeper Striped Bass chasing some baitfish at the Ferry Pier in Point Judith.
~
Hope those bass are swimming this way.

No comments: