Sunday, February 08, 2009

Dory Draw

It was 55 degrees today. Almost warm enough to get me back out to the garage to resurrect the Marblehead Gunning Dory. I think that I will stick to plan, though, and build the work bench first.
~
Sometime during my travels this week, I'll stop by Home Depot and pick up the best piece of 4x8 maple plywood that I can pull from the stack. The plywood top gets the nod over the butcherblock because of the lack of movement when I trim the top with either solid maple or solid mahogany with dovetailed corners. I'll rip it in half and double it to provide the bulk and weight that a work bench requires, and will cut it to a six foot length.
~
I'm afraid that the solid butcherblock would cause movement along the width of the top that would cause the dovetail trim to separate.
~
I've also decided to keep the top on a 24" width more or less rather than the 30" that I originally planned. I want to be able to easily reach over the width of the bench.
~
The bench won't be rushed, but I hope to finish it before spring draws me back to getting serious with the Dory again.

No comments: