Monday, September 22, 2008

Lobster Calc

Pulling the traps with Chris Crawford and Tyler Gill was really fun.  They had seven keeper lobsters in the seven traps we pulled, as well as a cod which I took home and filleted.  Naturally I was inspired to get my own traps, register for a recreational 10 trap permit and get my own lobster fishery next year.
~
The cost of 10 traps, gloves, pants, line, buoys, claw pliers, etc. from Hamilton Marine Supply in Maine will run about $1,500 delivered.  If I averaged seven lobsters a week, for the 16 +/- weeks of the season, the cost per keeper lobster is running about $8 a crustacean.   But then again, the equipment will last longer than one year, so the amortized cost reasonably gets down to about $4.00 each.
~
This doesn't include the cost of the boat and gas, but you figure that I would be using that recreationally anyway.
~
Mike says that Mark Vona can get us a deal on used traps which would lower the cost as well.
~
The justification can't be all financial.  Time on the water is magic time, and this is a great excuse to get out there more often.   I think I might give it a try.

No comments: