Sunday, August 03, 2008

Clean Gutters

Having splurged on a nice evening at the Johnson's house last night and fishing during the day with Katelyn, I resolved today to get some mundane chores done. Cleaning the gutters seemed to fit the bill. After all, they were so clogged with dirt and leaves that a number of plants had vigorously taken root.
~
So I got out the ladders and with a little help from Jim Bob Peabody, then Tommy O, had the extension ladder moving right along across the roof ridge at the front of the house. Cleaned out the gutter, shot in a couple of supporting screws and caulked the gutter seams.
~
So far, so good.
~
When I got to the garage gutter, the complications kicked in.
~
First I ran into a hornets nest and one of the little bastards stung me in my right bicep. God Damn, did that hurt, and it still is sore as hell.
~
I sprayed the nest, but then the thunder and rain rolled in... a bit of a delay. When the rain stopped, the gutter cleaning proceeded without further incident..... until I got to the gutter at the back of the garage.
~
Cleaned out that gutter, but the downspout is completely clogged and the gutter is coming off of the fascia board because of extensive rot.
~
Now I have to remove the gutter, and take out the rotten fascia board. Can't wait to see what the roof joists look like. They are probably pulpy too.
~
All I wanted to do was clean out the freaking gutters, now I have a sore arm and a semi-major maintenance project. And all of you pathetic peeps think it must be so cool to be me!!!

No comments: