Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Celtics Reinstatement


Looking for the Celtics to clinch the championship tonight. I'm not sure that I can stay up for the whole game, because I'm still wiped out from our tuna sojourn, and I have to get up early for a commute to Maynard tomorrow morning.
~
When I was younger, this would be no sweat, but it truly gets harder to answer the call now that I'm a middle aged guy.
~
Seeing the Celts in contention brings back a lot of memories. I saw Russell play with Sam Jones, and Satch Sanders in the Garden in my early teens. Back then, we were like floor rats, running all over the Boston Garden and in the corridors during half time. I remember standing on the floor during warm-ups and marveling at the size of Bill Russell.
~
When I was at UMass in the early Seventes, Havlicek and Cowens had their run. Havlicek was such a winner... it's weird seeing him all grey with a few extra pounds now. The Knicks were great rivals then with Walt Frazier, Willis Reed, and Earl Monroe. In my dorm, there were a lot of kids from New York and the New York and Black kids all rooted for the Knicks against the Celtics. There definitely was a Black/White thing going on in those days. It was uncomfortable, but we sucked it up, especially since the Celts won most of the time.
~
There was a down era for a while with some guys from UCLA and Cedric Maxwell, before Red Auerbach assembled Bird, McHale and Parish in the Eighties. The bad guys then were the Pistons and the Lakers. Philadelphia and Dr. J were huge too. I loved Julius Erving and had seen him in person many times at UMass before he turned pro.
~
It's been a long drought since then, but now Paul Pierce has been joined by Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen with a talented supporting cast, and they lead by 23 points over the Lakers at the end of the first half of the sixth and deciding game of the playoffs.
~
The Celts are back where they belong. There's justice and hope for the world.

No comments: