Friday, May 23, 2008

Adjustments

I made a major change in Will's Toychest design today. The base that seemed so right in my head made the chest look too bulky and tall when I actually built it. So I eliminated it and simplified the design. It looks much better, and now I'm progressing to final sanding.
~
The discarded chest base was used to create a display shelf for the antique bottles that we excavated ten years ago from the original Sundance Pre-School site, which was an apothecary, then a clam shack before becoming the florist shop that we demolished to build the school.
~
It would be possible to get all of the toychest sanding done tomorrow, apply a sealer coat of clear epoxy and be ready for spray varnish when the Tender is ready next week or so. But I have to carve Will's initials on the inside lid and that will take some time.
~
I don't want to cut any corners on this project, and have taken every step I know to strive for perfection. This one is turning out well, but they'll be other chances to build chests for grandkids yet to be born.

No comments: