Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Going Native

So I suppose your wondering why I posted this painting of a Native American....
~
So am I.
~
American Indians have always held a fascination for me, particularly those of the New England area. I think this guy is from a tribe of the mid-west though.
~
What a different world it would have been if the Indians had an immunity to European microbes. Maybe the European technological edge would have been lessened if the Indians were more numerous.

The Indians adapted to technology very quickly. The Europeans introduced horses, and the Indians became arguably the greatest equestrians in history. Their dexterity with firearms was also quickly established.
~
But they had not adopted the wheel and were still hunter - gatherers when the Europeans arrived with their germs.

Tuna Lips said...

My pappy's pappy loved them red skins. In fact, thems was the ones, I think the Choctaw or some such tribe, gave him the name "Lips like Tuna Has". Having never seen a tuna in the Oklahoma badlands, the injuns must of had one of them visions. Not surprising them heathens was seein things, as we got our start in the hooch business selling "firewater" to them savages. I say that with all due respect.

11:51 AM

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My pappy's pappy loved them red skins. In fact, thems was the ones, I think the Choctaw or some such tribe, gave him the name "Lips like Tuna Has". Having never seen a tuna in the Oklahoma badlands, the injuns must of had one of them visions. Not surprising them heathens was seein things, as we got our start in the hooch business selling "firewater: to them savages. I say that with all due respect.