Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Dory Stalking

The other day, when I was coming back from the post office, I got behind a truck that was towing a Chamberlain Gunning Dory into Old Town Marblehead. Stalker that I am, I followed the trailer until I got to a narrow one way street where the truck stopped.
~
Not being able to pass, I got out and asked the guy, who was directing the boat trailer into a driveway, if that was a Chamberlain dory and who built it.
~
He corrected me by saying that it was a Chamberlain Gunning Dory (like I didn't already know) and that it was built by Thad Danielson of Redd's Pond Boatworks.
~
It was planked with four chined planks, painted gray. The lines were straight out of John Gardner's depiction.
~
I'm pretty certain that the utilization of cedar strip planks, carefully matched for color and grain and clear varnished, with no hard chine delineation, will make my dory a unique interpretation of a beautiful design.

No comments: