Monday, October 01, 2007

Seven Months to the Finish Line

203 days until the Boston Marathon. I'm not training to win, so the Kenyans have nothing to worry about.
~
But today I started the journey by lugging my considerable bulk two miles up and down West Shore Drive. This will be a painful and challenging 203 days. Along the way, I hope that my weight drops well below 203 lbs.
~
I'm going to have to find a charity to run for because I won't be able to get a qualifying time before the actual race.
~
The last time I ran Boston, I was 18 years old. There have been many comeback attempts, usually marred by injury of some kind.... or reasons of motivation loss - some valid and some just character weaknesses. There is no reason why this time will be different, outside of the fact that I am opening myself up to ridicule by the likes of you Peeps.
~
Maybe that will be the difference.
~
Anyway, I'm following a program set up by Hal Higdon (www.halhigdon.com/marathon/Oint2-1.htm), and the real marathon buildup doesn't begin until Dec. 17. Everything up to that time is just conditioning to get into condition.

No comments: