Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Broke the Ice


Today, I officially started the Dory by cutting out a template for 1/4 of the boat floor out of luan plywood. Since the Dory is a double ender, the 1/4 template can be traced on the two sides of the front 12 foot floor, and the two sides of the back for perfect symmetry.
~
Tomorrow I'll be in Portsmouth, NH for a bid walk, and I can stop at the Moynihan lumber yard on the way home for two 14' 1x12's which I will join in the middle with a strip of mahogany using biscuit joints. These will be glued with epoxy resin, then I will lay out the pattern from the template.
~
The template layout and cutting with the bandsaw only took 1.5 hrs. But at least we quit talking and started this thing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The set up here reminds me of the industrial accident that took Shoo Fly's pinky and ring finger. See, we was making our mark in the wood milling industry, and I was such a natural that the boss man, Mr. T. William Snodgrass, through his foreman, Happy Lipschitz, the Austrian Jew, called on me to man and staff the sabre saws at the Oozing Sore Mill, and a sibling of mine was in good standing to join the workforce there, for Shooey could even at that time do a man's work, being all of 12. And he was born to being good at things, like I was. Shoo Fly, my bitty brother, sniff.

Anonymous said...

I put together a balsa wood flier for my son this weekend. It flies like the Spruce Goose, does loop de loops and all sorts of tricks. Marvel of engineering. And I got to huff the glue.