Sunday, July 08, 2007

Setting a Course

Now that the Tender is substantially done, with the exception of the sailing rig, I've been thinking of the next project for Nanepashemet Boatbuilding.
~
I've decided that it will be the Marblehead Gunning Dory, but the planking will be cedar strip planking with the chines substantially rounded. It will be long enough and equipped to allow two Piandetosi Rowing Rigs, and will also have a motor well for an outboard motor of less than 10hp.
~
I'll also include a centerboard, rudder and sailing rig that will incorporate the two sails that I have for the Tender and the Pram.
~
I will document the construction process in words and photographs sufficiently to convert into a book, which will be used to fund my early retirement. (I wish!!) A central focus of the book will be to point out all of the events and circumstances that cause delays in the project, such as business and personal obligations.
~
A bunch of stuff has to occur before I can launch this project. I have to finish the deck railing first, then complete the basement cabinet demolition and tiling. I've committed to Mike to finish the basement by next Thanksgiving. Finally, the garage has to fully overhauled and organized - not an easy proposition.
~
I'm guessing that the project starts in October. We'll run the whole thing through Microsoft Project, and try to use my professional PMP training, but that could get embarrassing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shucks, that ain't nothing. try building a distillery in the heat of an Alabama August, ready for the corn harvest come September. Used railroad ties, scrap tank from the town works station, copper tubing from the glue factory (we raised them horses, pure lines, for that there factory, we sure did). To keep it hush hush, me n' my cousin on my momma's side, twice removed, ole Scroddy Hossenfeffer, we'd dig into a swale, creatin' a clandestine area complete with bins for the corn, a pump for that pure water we was known for in them parts, near the town fill and stables, a proper fire pit with exhaust bubblin' into the nearby standing water, a blind to keep folks from peepin' in, and of course some nudie magazines. Pa oversaw the whole works, shotgun and the ready. Pa sured loved them nudie magazines, took a shine to our mule, Ole One Eye, too.

Like I was sayin', you aint built nothin' til you built one uh them.