Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Sail Preferences

This is the Sailrite plan for the Marblehead Gunning Dory. It's fashioned after John Gardner's Alpha Dory rig.
~
Pardon my blasphemy, but I don't like it. I'd rather see two sprit sails rather that the one mutton chop and the jib.
~
I would fashion the sail design much like the Herreshoff arrangement for the Coquina below.
~
Pretty good criticism from someone who has barely sailed more than a Sunfish.
~

So I'm going to change the planking on the Dory from plywood lapstrake to cedar bead and cove strips, and I'm going to change the sail configuration. But the actual hull design will remain true to Gardner's revised plans of the original Chamberlain Marblehead Gunning Dory.
~
I don't want to screw around with the actual performance in the water, just the way it looks.
~
Aren't you getting psyched about this project? Me too!

No comments: