Thursday, November 30, 2006

Great Grandfather

What's your Great Grandfather's first name? That's your father's or mother's grandfather. I don't know either!
~
That is a whole life that went by, directly related to your existance, and you don't know jack about him - even his first name.
~
How important can our life's issues be if in less than 100 years, nobody will know if you even lived?
~
Makes you wonder about sweating the small stuff, or taking life too seriously.
~
"Try not to try too hard... It's just a lovely ride."
- James Taylor
~
Just 400 years ago, thousands of Native American Indians lined the shores of New England. In less that 100 years, 95% of them were dead with no progeny - victims of European microbes. We have virtually no record of this rich culture - even the widespread decimation is theory and conjecture. That happened in a blink of our human existance - a relative nanosecond in man's time on earth. Right in the land that we dwell. All of their issues and experiences - like they never happened.

See 1491 by Charles C. Mann

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I gotta say J, thats some pretty deep stuff. Really made me think today. I may have to make some changes.

- Tom

Anonymous said...

Mines is Jebediah and Samuel on the one side, and Daniel and Magnus on the other. And each of them would roll in his grave ifin' they new that one of their own was a traitor to his bloodline.

They learnt me proper, they did, speakin' to me from time to time. I hear thems voices.

In other news, I need to go and lance a boil on my goat's arse. The animal arts and veterinares affairs is strong in our family, natural cures for the common cold and ghonnerea and sitch.

We are part of the cycle of life, son. Right of you to reckon on yer pappy's folks.