Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Crawford's Modest Request



Normally, I wouldn't share my recipes with the Peeps. The exceptions are the cocktalls - Dark and Stormies, the Classic Autumn Seagrams and Cider - these are recipes that can't be withheld from mankind for the good that they provide for humanity.
~
Chris Crawford has continually tried to break me - asking how I made my Buffalo Wings, how I made my White Trash Balls, etc., etc. I've always been able to dodge these questions. But now Chris pitifully tells me that he is frying his first turkey, and wants to know some of my coveted superior methods.
~
Since Chris' wife, Sarah, always dances with me at weddings, even though I am a fat middle aged white guy, I guess I owe him this one.
~
OK Chris, here are my turkey frying recommendations.
~
Don't Skimp on the Peanut Oil. You will pay twice as much for this as for the turkey, but get enough to cover the submerged bird.
~
Fill the fryer pot with water, then place the turkey in to displace the water and see the resulting level of the liquid. Take out the turkey, pat it dry, and make sure that all of the water is wiped clean in the fryer. Make sure that the level of the water is not too close to the top of the fryer pot. This is Important. When you first put the turkey in the hot oil, it will boil up and if it crests the top of the pot and falls onto the propane fuel, run. You are screwed and Thanksgiving is a bust.
~
BTW, do this all outside.
~
Make sure that you have a long stemmed thermometer. Wait until the oil is well above 350 degrees - up to 400 degrees is acceptable. When you put the turkey in the pot, the oil will cool down and it is important to keep it at 350.
~
Know the turkey's weight. Calculate 3 1/2 minutes for each pound of turkey. Before you lower the turkey into the pot, inject it with some spices mixed in olive oil. Pick your poison - make sure that the spices are savory.
~
Put the turkey into the frying basket and lower it into the pot. Use gloves or the oil will splatter you, burn you, and make you cry like a sissy boy in front of your whole family on Thanksgiving Day.
~
After the calculated time, pull out the turkey, carve it into slices and enjoy Thanksgiving with your great family.
~
Some say that the fried turkey produces distinctive couch farts later on in the day. Please check with Ryan on this. His expertise in this field far exceeds mine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How about the recipe for the "white trash balls"