Saturday, October 28, 2006

Boat Building Progress

I know that you mean right, but please stop hounding me about the progress of the Herreshoff yacht tender. I'm trying as hard as I can, but I can't guarantee that I'll have a launch by Thanksgiving.
~
It rained like hell today and I couldn't move stuff into the driveway in order to maneuver around the garage. Someday when my trust funds kick in, I'm going to have enough space for a real boatbuilding shop... but for now I will have to contend with moving stationary tools around on casters.
~
I epoxy coated the centerboard case and assembled the okume plywood panels into dadoed oak end caps. Then I laminated the centerboard and rudder from olkume two 3/8" panels. I read that you shouldn't make the centerboard from plywood, but I'm hopeing that the olkume marine ply will do the job. It will be interesting to see how the molten lead interacts with it.
~
Tomorrow, I'll finish cut the centerboard case to match the height of the sliding seat rowing rigs, and epoxy fillet it in place.
~
Hope that's enough information for you. My guess is that I will not be able to launch by Thanksgiving unless I take a few days off from Darwin. Not sure that I will do that while the iron is hot.

No comments: